The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA (NCC) is the oldest and largest Christian ecumenical body in the nation. The NCC is searching for a Chief Operating Officer (COO) who will work closely with the General Secretary/President in carrying out administrative and management functions of the Council.
The COO will have numerous responsibilities and will by necessity be required to respond quickly to the many and various matters that come before the NCC on a regular basis.
- Partner with the GS/president and be responsible for developing, implementing, and administering the operational aspects of the office.
- Serve as Human Resources Director.
- Play a vital role in advancing the NCC’s racial justice efforts.
- Provide leadership to the NCC strategic planning process and implementation of new programmatic initiatives.
- Serve as liaison to NCC partners; work with NCC President to keep him/her abreast of programmatic strategies and challenges.
- Work with the Development Director to cultivate relationships with donors.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary.
- Promote a culture of excellent performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Assist with organizing staff meeting agendas, staff retreats, and regular staff anti-racism and anti-sexism training events.
- Oversee planning for the Christian Unity Gathering.
- Help coordinate planning for and execution of Executive Committee and Governing Board Meetings.
- Coordinate visits of, and itinerary for, visiting delegations from Councils of Churches and other important national and international guests.
- Coordinate requests for NCC to co-sponsor events and sign on to amicus briefs.
- Work with GS/President and Nominating Committee.
- Staff the bylaws committee.
- Work with the Development Director in raising funds for the work and ministry of the NCC.
- Must belong to an NCC member communion.
- Strong administrative and management skills required.
- Strong financial oversight skills preferred.
- Professional experience in a non-profit environment.
- Effective relationship builder and communicator with experience leading diverse work teams, developing an organization-wide strategy for program excellence, engaging community partners and partnering with President/General Secretary, Governing Board, and staff.
- Ability to work in a collegial and collaborative environment.
- Ability and willingness to respond in a positive and creative manner to an ever-shifting and evolving organizational and ecumenical landscape.
- Can point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation. Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Passionate about NCC mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of NCC to external and internal stakeholders.
- Some ability to travel
- 22 vacation days
- Pension program
- Competitive salary
- Health care subsidy
Applications are due March 31, 2019, should include cover letter and resume, and be addressed to:
NCC COO Search
Attn: Jim Winkler
110 Maryland Ave. NE
Washington, DC 20002