Lesson 8: October 23, 2016
The High Priest Forever: Hebrews 7:1-3; 19b-28
Teaching Strategy: Discuss how rapid changes affect our lives today. Share ideas for how a community of faith might help to provide continuity for those whose lives are troubled in the midst of change. Or, to put it another way, how do Christians embody Christ’s priestly role in turbulent times? For example. . .
- Earthquake relief in parts of the US, Latin America, the Caribbean, and especially in Haiti.
- The most contentious presidential election in recent history.
- Civil war in Syria.
- Countries all over the world in which children are deprived of food, safety, and medicine.
- Overwhelming threats related to technology: trolling, hacking, harassment, cyber-terrorism.
- The plight of millions of refugees throughout the world.
Pray for the needs of the world, and in so doing, become more infused with the nature and spirit of Christ, our eternal high priest. . . “a high priest who perfectly fits our needs: completely holy, uncompromised by sin, with authority extending as high as God’s presence in heaven itself” (Heb. 7:26). Take on the attributes of Christ’s priestly role, extending God’s presence to those around you, becoming one with Christ beyond the earthly limits of time and space.
Fall 2016 Theme: The Sovereignty of God
Lesson 8, Unifying Principle: Practices, traditions, and institutions begun in the past are expected to continue. Who will sustain them? Jesus was named to give the practices, traditions, and institutions their ultimate meaning and role for the people for all generation.
Posted on: October 17, 2016, by : Tammy Wiens