Mass Incarceration Priority - Resources
Sample NCC Policy Statements and Resolutions Pertaining to the Mass Incarceration Priority
• Policy Statement on Challenges to the Injustices of the Criminal Justice System - November 10, 1979
• Resolution on the Abolition of the Death Penalty - September 13, 1968
• Policy on The Church and Children: Vision and Goals for the 21st Century - September 2012
Sample NCC Statements Pertaining to the Mass Incarceration Priority
• Message - A Social Creed for the 21st Century - November 7, 2007
• Assembly Statement on the Disavowal of Torture - November 2005
Joint Action and Advocacy for Justice and Peace Convening Table Resources
• NCC Letter to U.S. Senate in support of Smarter Sentencing Act (April 3, 2014)
• Faith in Action Criminal Justice Reform Working Group Clergy Sign On letter supporting Smarter Sentencing Act
• June 4 Smarter Sentencing Act Call In Day script
• Resources on Incarceration in the United States
Sample NCC Member Communion Resources Pertaining to the Mass Incarceration Priority
• The Church and Criminal Justice: Hearing the Cries (ELCA).
- Click here to access the Spanish translation, La Iglesia y la justicia penal: escuchemos los lamentos.
• Training Paradigm - Reaching, Reconciling, Restoring Lives Impacted by Crime and Incarceration. (National Baptist Convention USA)
• Why minister to people in prison? (Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry)
• A Prophetic Call to Dismantle Mass Incarceration & the Criminalization of Race
Alliance of Baptists Annual Meeting
Portland, ME - May 3, 2014
• Reformed Church in America Commision on Christian Action Report on Mass Incarceration.
Other Faith-Based Resources Pertaining to the Mass Incarceration Priority
• Confronting Armed Violence and Promoting Peace (February 2013 US Conference of Catholic Bishops)
• A Criminal Injustice System by Nathan Schneider
• Domestic Policy Background on Criminal Justice and Restorative Justice (Catholic)
• Responsibility, Rehabilitation and Restoration: A Catholic Perspective on Crime and Criminal Justice
• Christian Churches Together
Response to Dr. King's Letter
from Birmingham Jail.
• Christian Churches Together Biblical Study Guide on Dr. King's Letter
from Birmingham Jail.
• National Christian Leaders Oppose Mass Incarceration. Christian Churches Together Press Release.
• Resolution on Criminal Justice (Evangelical Covenant Church)
• Healing Communities USA. Training congregations to minister to individuals and families impacted by incarceration.
• JustFaith Ministries, Inc. - Prison Reform: Church of The Second Chance. A transformative education module accomplished in 6 - 7 sessions, with an optional immersion experience. JustFaith Ministries provides programs that transform people and expand their commitment to social ministry.
• Disclipline That Restores: Strategies to Create Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility. Ron Claassen
• Good Punishment: Christian Moral Practice and U.S. Imprisonment. Dr. James Logan
• The Little Book of Restorative Discipline for Schools: Teaching Responsibility. Lorraine Stutzman Amstutz
• Changing Lenses: A New Focus for Crime and Justice. Howard Zehr
• Doing Life: Reflections of Men and Women Serving Life Sentences. Howard Zehr
• The Little Book of Restorative Justice. Howard Zehr
• Transcending: Reflections of Crime Victims. Howard Zehr
Other Resources Pertaining to the Mass Incarceration Priority
• The Future of Race in America. Michelle Alexander, TedTalk.
• Interviews with Michelle Alexander
• The Fight for Black Men by Joshua DuBois
• The Growth of Incarceration in the United States: Exploring Causes and Consequences (2014), National Research Council.
• Lifelines to Healing (PICO National Network - PICO California). A youth development initiative which is committed to addressing the causes of pervasive violence and crime in our communities and advocating for policies and resources that contribute to the healing of our communities. Its current major programs focus on youth violence prevention and reentry services.
• Redemption of the Prosecutor Film. Brian Stevenson, Equal Justice Initiative.
• Race, Rehabilitation, And The Private Prison Industry by Lisa Wade.